Approaches to Care for Older Adults
Given a choice, the majority of older people would prefer to live in their own homes despite disabilities, loneliness and the problems of health care. In this subject, you will consider the healthcare needs of older people and the ways in which older people are represented through the media, health and social policies and legislation, and the way that these representations impact on their lives and their access to health care services.
- Discuss the physiological and psychological changes associated with ageing.
- Critically analyse the determinants of healthy ageing and the implications of an ageing population.
- Examine the health care needs of an ageing population and models of care.
- Study and critically assess approaches to dementia and palliation in aged care.
- Assessment 1: Group discussion and case study (20%)
- Assessment 2: Essay (30%)
- Assessment 3: Research project (50%)