Research Methods and Evidence-Based Practice
‘Research Methods and Evidence-Based Practice’ Evidence-based practice (EBP) is central to contemporary health research and practice. In this subject, you will learn how to approach research in the health and social sciences by effectively searching the literature, critically appraising evidence, and assessing its significance. You will learn how to apply scientific methods and statistical principles to a variety of research situations and questions and to understand the ways in which knowledge in the health and social sciences is validated and communicated.
Complementary and alternative medicine is a thriving sector of health care. Case studies will enable you to study the philosophies and practices and supporting evidence base for selected therapies such as meditation, traditional medicine, qigong, yoga, spiritual healing, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, shiatsu, iridology, kinesiology.
- Demonstrate understanding of a range of approaches to research in the health and social sciences and health practice, their strengths and weaknesses and the situations in which they can be applied
- Demonstrate an understanding of research ethics and the requirements for ethics approval
- Demonstrate the capacity to search and critically review the literature, appraise the sociological, statistical and clinical significance of evidence relating to a research topic, draw conclusions about the significance of the evidence and make suggestions about further research and development
- Develop specific research questions suitable for research projects and write a research proposal
- Learn the skills of research paper-writing and reporting.
This subject runs for five weeks, with the following structure:
Week 1: Pre-reading of prescribed texts
Week 2: Digital Intensive Classroom (5 days x 8 hrs/day)
Weeks 3 – 5: Submission of assessments online.
APPLY TO NAN TIEN INSTITUTE NOW
ABOUT NAN TIEN INSTITUTE
Nan Tien Institute (NTI) is a private, not for profit, government accredited higher education provider offering studies in the areas of Buddhist studies, health and wellbeing, within an environment that incorporates contemplative education.
NTI offers postgraduate programs in Applied Buddhist Studies, Health and Social Wellbeing, Humanistic Buddhism, and Mental Health as well as customised Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programs and special interest subjects across the areas of meditation, mindfulness and health.